Senior Analog Mass Spectrometer – Electronics Design Engineer
Mass Spectrometry Company (>35 year) requires a Senior Analog Design Engineer with essential Quadrupole Mass Spec Experience to work on Analog Designs, Power Supply circuits design for the Mass Spectrometry industry in the areas of Residual Gas analysis, Surface science, plasma science and Langmuir Probes.
This role will require already proven Analog Design experience with understandings of mass spectrometer detail to immediately design at this high level.
All systems designed in the UK and sold worldwide. Very occasional travel may be required. 37.5 Hour
Who we are
We manufacture quadrupole mass spectrometers for residual gas analysis, plasma diagnostics by direct measurement of plasma ions and ion energies, SIMS systems and probes for surface analysis and UHV surface science, gas analysis systems for gas reaction studies, catalysis performance quantification, and thermo-gravimetric studies.
We are a specialist company of ~ 90 people. Our products are exported to all major economies in the world.
Qualifications / experience
- Good fundamental knowledge (>10 yrs in the field) in the quadrupole mass spectrometry industry related skill sets enabling quick integration into the company’s methodologies and systems. Mass dependant kits, Ion optics, Source control and regulation (electron energy, Ion Energy). SEM and dynode voltage generation. Performance criteria of quadrupole mass spec and how to influence it.
- Solid industry Analog design and verification experience and hands-on practical knowledge.
- Essential transistor level circuit design know-how including DAC high voltage control, discrete amplifier design, control of feedback loops with error amplifiers, RF energy recovery, voltage regulation, current limiting, voltage mixing and power amps using class A,B,C and D.
- AC-DC & DC-DC SMPS power supply design, all voltages range from 24V to -1K/+1K (transformer) design and control of high voltage modules (up to +- 10kV). Control of voltages and monitoring of power levels in switching circuits. Generation, monitoring and control of current regulation.
- Appreciation of RF techniques used in Mass spectrometry.
- Capable of managing an electronic test infrastructure for electronic production systems.
- Capable of managing production batch ordering to meet production schedules.
- Fundamental understanding of noise in Analog circuits.
- Ability to simulate designs using industry proven tools. (Lt Spice, Bode analysers, Simsmith)
- Proficiency in analog concepts such as impedance matching, smith chart, transmission line theory, bode analysis. Inductor, transformer principals.
- Capable of managing multi hierarchical designs both electrical and mechanical with wiring.
- Capable of managing obsolescence of components and systems.
- PCB layout experience, PCB assembles, and part lists, wiring schedules.
- Good with Linux operating systems and scripting capabilities to manage company CRM based systems.
- Interpret requirement specifications to achieve system and design strategy for future products.
- Good English skills, communication skills, and willingness to work with multi team members.
- Good learning competency, self-motivated, and ability to work in diverse areas in a flexible and dynamic environment. Take full responsibility for solutions and make them happen.
- Proven EMC and Safety approvals experience for large and small systems.
- A willingness to be helpful and to be motivated to train new younger engineers.
Additional Skills / requirements
- Writing of design reports, testing and specifications reports. Work with marketing, applications
and customers to help define new solutions.
- Mastery of test equipment: spectrum analysers, oscilloscope, LCR Bridge, Bode analysis.
- Interface to the Production Department and adapt, re-engineer designs for obsolescence and
- Looks for continuous improvement both personally and in company practices.
- Ability to work with external partners such as FAE’s, test equipment suppliers, and chip set
- Undertake design reviews, discuss and accommodate changes to ongoing work.
Office based at single location of headquarters. Occasional site visits may be required to survey customer’s equipment for integration.
Benefits and Work Philosophy
- 23 days holidays. Pensions and Bupa health care after two years’ service.
- This company implements a minimum stress reduce working environment and encourages a
good work / life balance.
Job Application GuidePlease apply by email. Please include:
- Covering letter