FIB-SIMS for Nano-Scale Materials Analysis
For further information and pricing, please get in touch with us.
Add high performance SIMS capability to your existing FIB systemHiden Analytical offers high-performance bolt-on secondary ion mass spectrometry (SIMS) for existing focused ion beam (FIB) systems, providing outstanding surface specificity and a naturally high dynamic range for advanced nanoscale material analysis. Our FIB-SIMS systems are poised to enhance your operations, from routine detection tasks to complex sample preparation.
Nanoscale materials analysis refers to a growing domain of instruments focused on the detection of trace and ultra-trace elements down to the parts per million (ppm) range. This is critical in high sensitivity three-dimensional (3D) elemental mapping and depth profiling; both key methods of materials analysis for analytical and preparative materials identification applications.
Focused ion beam secondary ion mass spectrometry (FIB-SIMS) is among the most powerful materials identification techniques in high sensitivity nanoscale materials analysis. It combines the exceptional surface sensitivity of SIMS with a focused primary ion beam, laying the groundwork for qualitative compositional analysis of the uppermost nanolayers of materials of interest.
FIB-SIMS can provide critical elemental data based on isotope and ion (atomic and molecular) detection, with a broad range of suitable application areas.
- Nano-scale Elemental Surface Mapping
- 3D Depth Profiling
- Materials Analysis
- Excellent sensitivity and dynamic range
- Customised software interface
- ‘Feature MS’ mode allows mass spectral data to be gained from a specific area of interest, such as a contaminant, grain boundary etc
- Customised mounting solutions available for any FIB system
- Retractable extraction optics allows operation without interference with other analysis equipment
The Hiden SIMS Mapper software controls the FIB beam, gaining elemental images and 3D depth profiles over the SEM’s field of view for nano-scale correlative microscopy.
- <50 nm lateral resolution for surface mapping
- <20 nm depth resolution
- Analysis of trace elements down to ppm levels (thin films, semiconductors, solar cells)
- Isotope detection (e.g. 69Ga, 71Ga)
- Elemental mapping and depth profiling
- Detection of atomic and molecular ions (e.g. Zr+ and ZrO+)
Find Out More